Anthropologie has earned a cult following among bohemian fashionistas and free spirits alike. Known for its earthy, vintage-inspired clothing, eclectic home decor, and quirky, colorful aesthetic, Anthropologie offers a shopping experience like no other.
This blog post explores everything you need to know about the Anthropologie brand, including its history, store concepts, popular product offerings, and why it has such a loyal fanbase.
Whether you’re new to Anthropologie or a longtime “Anthro” addict, read on to learn all about this one-of-a-kind lifestyle brand.
A Brief History of Anthropologie
Anthropologie was founded in 1992 in Wayne, Pennsylvania, by current Urban Outfitters CEO Richard Hayne and his wife, Peggy. The company was initially conceptualized as a store for urban bohemians who craved unique home furnishings and eclectic apparel.
The first Anthropologie store opened in a suburb of Philadelphia in October 1992. It focused primarily on home decor and furniture, offering apparel and accessories soon after. From the beginning, Anthropologie set out to create a shopping experience reminiscent of exploring a hip Greenwich Village boutique.
The brand expanded throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, opening locations across the United States. Anthropologie made its first foray into e-commerce with the launch of anthropologie.com in 1998. International expansion began in 2009 with a store opening in Toronto, Canada.
Today, Anthropologie operates over 200 stores across the U.S., Canada, and Europe. The brand has maintained its creative, artisanal spirit even as it has become an internationally-recognized retailer.
The Anthropologie Shopping Experience
Step inside an Anthropologie store, and you’ll quickly understand what makes this brand unique. Anthropologie locations feel like worlds unto themselves, with creatively designed vignettes and rich visual merchandising.
Popular home decor items often go onto the sales floor to inspire customers. Stores frequently collaborate with local artists to display one-of-a-kind works. Every Anthropologie has its unique character, thanks to regionally sourced furniture and carefully curated collections.
In addition to women’s clothing and home decor, Anthropologie stores offer gifts, beauty products, a bridal collection, and city guides featuring local businesses. The dressing rooms have a fun, communal feel with their lounge areas. Customers can even indulge in beauty treatments at the Priti nail bar.
Anthropologie takes excellent care to make shopping feel like an experience. Store associates act as stylists, providing personalized outfit recommendations and style advice. Monthly events like cooking demonstrations and crafting workshops make it fun to return.
Why People Love Anthropologie
So what is it about Anthropologie that inspires such devotion among its fans? Here are a few of the top reasons this bohemian brand has earned a cult following:
- The aesthetic – Anthropologie’s earthy, boho-chic aesthetic is a major draw for many fans. The clothing and home decor perfectly capture that free-spirited, slightly eccentric vibe.
- The element of discovery – Browsing an Anthropologie store feels like going on a treasure hunt. You never know what unique item you might uncover. This sense of discovery is thrilling for shoppers.
- The storytelling – Anthropologie excels at storytelling. Product descriptions share the origins and backgrounds of items. Display vignettes tell a story. This context makes shopping feel like exploring a museum.
- The experience – As mentioned, Anthropologie sells more than just stuff. The stores provide an adventure through their transportive atmospheres and engaging programming.
- The individuality – Anthropologie champions personal style and individuality. Shoppers appreciate how the brand empowers them to assemble looks that feel distinctly their own.
Explore some of Anthropologie’s most popular product categories to see what keeps devotees returning for more.
Anthropologie made its name in apparel. The brand’s earthy, romantic clothing perfectly encapsulates its bohemian spirit. Flowy peasant blouses, maxi dresses, kimonos, embroidered tunics, and printed pants take customers on a global style journey.
In addition to the signature Anthropologie aesthetic, the brand has expanded its clothing lines in recent years to increase versatility. Here’s an overview of some popular Anthropologie apparel offerings:
- Maeve – This line offers feminine staples at an accessible price point, including wrap dresses, button-downs, and soft knits. Maeve has become one of Anthropologie’s top-selling clothing lines.
- Pilcro – This denim-focused collection provides quality jeans in on-trend washes, from cropped flares to vintage-inspired high rises. The line also includes tees, jackets, and other denim wardrobe staples.
- BHLDN – BHLDN started as Anthropologie’s wedding brand in 2011, offering bohemian bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses, and occasion wear. It has since expanded into a broader line of feminine, romantic dresses and accessories.
- Plus – Anthropologie Plus offers extended sizes, ensuring more shoppers can access the brand’s signature aesthetic. Offerings include boho-inspired dresses, jumpsuits, and delicate lingerie.
Beyond apparel, Anthropologie offers a treasure trove of accessories, shoes, and beauty items that complete the effortless boho look. Some favorites include embroidered handbags, felt hats, metallic jewelry, block-heel mules, and nourishing body care products, often from artisanal brands.
Anthropologie Home & Decor
While Anthropologie made its name in fashion, today, it’s just as renowned for its eclectic home offerings. The brand’s globe-trotting decor instantly transforms any space into a bohemian oasis.
Some of the most popular home categories at Anthropologie include:
- Furniture – Vintage-inspired sofas, chairs, tables, and storage crafted from natural materials create a modern boho look. Many pieces are handmade by artisans.
- Bedding – Choose from quilts, duvet covers, shams, sheets, and pillows in vibrant globally-inspired prints.
- Rugs – Flatweave, dhurrie, kilim, and tufted rugs add color and texture to floors in true Anthropologie fashion.
- Kitchen & Dining – Handcrafted ceramics, table linens, glassware, and serve ware elevate everyday meals.
- Decor & Accents – Find an eclectic mix of mirrors, artisan pottery, candles, baskets, textiles, and more.
- Garden – Bring the Anthropologie aesthetic outside with furniture, planters, glassware, and decorative accents.
One decor must-have is the sculptural Capri Blue Volcano Candle. This aromatic soy and coconut wax candle comes in a stunning blue glass vessel modeled after the Blue Grotto sea cave in Capri, Italy. It perfectly captures the travel-inspired Anthropologie style.
Anthropologie For the Home
In 2007, Anthropologie expanded its successful home concept by launching Anthropologie for the Home. This brand extension allows devotees to shop specialty furniture, decor, tabletop items, and more from the comfort of anthropologie.com.
Anthropologie for the Home also operates standalone retail stores throughout the U.S., specializing in home furnishings. They offer an extensive selection beyond what fits in the traditional Anthropologie brick-and-mortar.
For bohemian decorating on a budget, check out the Anthropologie for the Home outlet website. It offers past-season home furnishings and decor at discounted prices.
Anthropologie Brand Values
Anthropologie’s unique retail concepts and bohemian style come from core values centered around creativity, inclusivity, and responsible business practices.
Some standout Anthropologie brand values include:
- Commitment to artists – Supporting artisans is critical. Many products are handmade by skilled craftspeople around the world.
- Inclusivity – Anthropologie seeks diversity in its imagery and product offerings. The brand expanded sizing early on and features models of all ages and backgrounds.
- Sustainability – Anthropologie strives to reduce its environmental impact from recycled packaging materials to ethically sourced cotton.
- Giving back – Charitable partner donations support organizations like the Anthropologie Foundation, which empowers female artisans.
By staying true to its core values even as it has grown, Anthropologie has nurtured a lifestyle community that identifies with more than just the products. Customers feel connected to the brand’s broader mission.
How To Wear Anthropologie’s Boho Style
Ready to infuse some Anthropologie spirit into your wardrobe? Here are some tips for channeling the Anthropologie aesthetic in your style:
Embrace Prints and Patterns
Anthropologie fans are fearless in donning vibrant prints from head to toe. Maxi dresses, wide-leg pants, skirts, and tops covered in floral, paisley, and global motifs epitomize the bohemian vibe. Feel free to mix and match patterns for an eclectic, just-thrown-together look.
The boho look is all about layers. Start with a flowy tank or cami, then layer on tunics, oversized cardigans, kimonos, or ponchos. Layering necklaces and stacks of bracelets also adds visual interest.
Choose Natural Fabrics and Textures
Anthro clothes and decor incorporate natural fabrics like cotton, linen, silk, and wool that drape beautifully. Introduce nubby knits, delicate laces, soft velvets, crochet accents, or embroidered details for added texture.
Don’t Forget the Accessories
Accessorize with felt hats, woven bags, fringe sandals, stacks of bangle bracelets, and sparkly statement earrings. Anthropologie’s accessory selection unleashes the inner boho goddess.
Infuse Your Home With Character
Create a globally-inspired living space by layering Anthropologie’s rugs, textiles, handcrafted ceramics, and artisan fabrics throughout your home. Keep things eclectic with a mix of vintage and modern finds.
The Anthropologie lifestyle is all about expressing your free-spirited individuality. Keep these tips in mind to embrace your inner bohemian!
Frequently Asked Questions About Anthropologie
What sizes does Anthropologie carry?
Anthropologie offers a wide range of sizes in women’s clothing, from XXS to 3X, 00 to 20. The brand expanded its size-inclusive offerings early on to promote body positivity. Anthropologie also has a dedicated Plus size collection.
Is Anthropologie fast fashion?
No, Anthropologie is not fast fashion. While trend-driven, most of its clothing is not produced rapidly for low costs like fast fashion brands. Many Anthropologie products are handmade over weeks or months with high-quality materials.
What age group shops at Anthropologie?
The typical Anthropologie customer is female, college-educated, and aged 30 to 45. However, women of all ages shop the brand for its unique bohemian style. Anthropologie also attracts trend-focused teens and young adults.
Does Anthropologie have sales?
Yes! While not a discount brand, Anthropologie does offer sales throughout the year. Popular deals include Winter Tag Sale, Summer Tag Sale, Memorial Day Sale, Labor Day Sale, and Black Friday weekend. Signing up for emails provides sale announcements and exclusive promo codes.
Is Anthropologie expensive?
Given the artisanal nature of many products, Anthropologie’s pricing sits at the middle to higher end. However, the brand does offer more affordable options under labels like Maeve. Signing up for promo emails provides regular opportunities to save.
What is Anthropologie’s return policy?
Anthropologie offers a flexible return policy, allowing returns within 60 days of purchase for a full refund.
Are there Anthropologie outlets where I can find discounted items?
Anthropologie has outlet stores where you can discover discounted treasures and enjoy remarkable savings.
What are some popular Anthropologie mirror dupes?
Anthropologie mirror dupes can be found in various stores and online platforms, offering similar designs at more affordable prices.
Can I find Anthropologie furniture for my home?
Yes, Anthropologie offers a range of exquisite furniture pieces, combining style and functionality to elevate your living spaces.
The Final Takeaway
Hopefully, this overview explains why Anthropologie has earned such a loyal following. By staying true to its bohemian roots, choosing quality over quantity, and focusing on the shopping experience, Anthropologie delivers a retail concept that keeps devotees returning.
The next time you’re craving a dose of boho inspiration, treat yourself to a leisurely browse through this one-of-a-kind lifestyle haven. Anthropologie’s specialty is crafting spaces and products that help you express your creative spirit.
Featured image source: Anthropologie.com